Thursday, September 15, 2011

How hard is it to change the ball joints on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4?

I know that the ball joints (upper AND lower) both need to be replaced. I have priced the parts on my own, and it would be SO much cheaper to do it myself. My question is, is this something that I could do myself at home? I've become pretty good at fixing most small things, but I haven't tackled anything like this before. I know all about the tools I will need to rent, which are all available at Autozone. I've done brake work, easy things like the alternator (a few times), shocks, etc., but have never messed with anything too big. Thanks!
How hard is it to change the ball joints on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4?
If you have the right tools (a ball-joint press is really the only special tool), it isn't that bad. Give yourself plenty of time to do it (like a whole day) just in case something comes up. Hopefully you have another way to get to the parts store in case you end up needing something in the middle of the job. If it ever gets off-road, you may want to consider changing the u-joints in the front axle at the same time since you;ll already have the axles out. Even if you don't change them, now is a good time to at least refill them with grease.



Get a service manual and go for it (there are online writeups as well, but they're not as convenient as having a book next to you). You never learn if you do try.


No comments:

Post a Comment