Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Replacing ball joints on car?

I have a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire, and have been told by Midas that my front suspension is really loose at the lower ball joints. They showed it to me, and I could see that it was really loose and I probably won't pass safety and emission testing to register my car unless I get this fixed. I'm pretty sure I can do this for about $400 less than what they'd do it for, but I'm wondering if this is something extremely difficult to do? I can change my oil and replace the brake pads, but would something like this be way over my head? Has anyone else done this successfully without any trouble? It didn't look like it would be hard to change, but I don't want to start on it and then break more things....
Replacing ball joints on car?
Well, i'd say that a home mechanic could do that job, but--you'll need some big tools, a pair of safety stands, (and not the el-cheapo sold by Pep boys, or K-mart!) an air wrench, possibly a large hammer and chisel, a hydraulic jack, wheel chocks or blocks, and a whole pile of patience. You will also need the %26quot;Salad fork%26quot; tool, to remove the tapered end of the old joint from the lower control arm!

Also, it would be advisable to have another form of transportation, to go to get any parts you forgot to buy! Or, to exchange the wrong parts for the right ones, which you will discover after you get the car in an undrivable condition. This always happens--do not ask me how i know!
  • baby name spelling
  • favorite shampoo hair conditioner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment