Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How to Remove Ball joint Rivets?

Trying to change lower ball joints in a 96 sunfire. How the hell do you get the rivets out? I have a air hammer and a chisel set, and a air grinder. Can I just grind off the head of the rivet and use the air hammer to push the rivet out. Do i need to remove castle nut and the ball joint stud from knuckle first or will they come out while still attached? Any help would be great cause I'm at the end of my rope with this job.

p.s. I tried to drill them out but i cant get a drill under the ball joint and enough up pressure to drill them out.
How to Remove Ball joint Rivets?
ya, you cannot drill through rivets, the way you are supposed to do it is to use either a air die grinder or a dremel tool to grind one side of the rivets flush with the control arm, then take a center punch and a hammer and knock the remaining part of the rivet through. it should hammer out with no problem, if you have any question just e mail me gixxerscum@yahoo.com
How to Remove Ball joint Rivets?
you can drill thru them i just did it on my cadillac but it has to be done with a step drill bit included a link to the drill bit normal bits wont work

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDispla鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment