Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Replacing ball joints, how do you remove torsion bars?

Can some one give me the procedure for replacing the lower ball joints on a 99 gmc yukon 4wd. It has torsion bars, how do I loosen them and how much? Could I just keep a jack under the control arm instead? 聽The ball joints are the press in type and I have rented a ball joint press from the auto store. Please dont give me the %26quot;save my time and my knuckles and pay someone to do it%26quot; speech, I have all the time in the world, it's a second vehicle, and I'm willing to cut my knuckles to save $400.00. I have changed the breaks and rotors, shocks and the front drive shafts on this truck previously so I am capable of doing the job, I just need the procedure.


Replacing ball joints, how do you remove torsion bars?
Just keep a floor jack under the lower control arm, seperate the lower ball joint from the spindle, and use a ball joint press.
Replacing ball joints, how do you remove torsion bars?
On flat ground measure your ground to frame distance first (write it down)



Then set the truck up securly on jack standS on it's Frame.





unscrew the tension bolts in the torsion bars untill the tension is relived compleatly.



remove the tension rods and your control arms.



I use 2 HD sockets and a mini sledge hammer to %26quot;press%26quot; my bushings in and out.



1 socket to catch or cup/lift the bushing , and 1 to drive it in or out with a mini sledge .



lightly Greease the contact surfaces B4 installing , it helps much more.



Once you get it back together , try to set your torsion bolts as close as you took them off at.



your final tension bolt adjustment (the measurement) will come when the truck is back setting on all 4 wheels.



If you don't have a book...............Spend $20 and get one first.

You will find a repair book is worth much more then $20



This is one %26quot;Tonka%26quot; of a repair proceedure though.

Not hard but big parts.



Safety is essential


Mark the end of the torsion bar and the frame so when you loosen the torsion bar you can tighten them back to the same spot. Just use a paint stick or marker
Not necessary to remove torsion bars. Just keep a jack under the control arm, then disconnect and press out the ball joint. And if you don't have a ball joint press, a big hammer and a couple of appropriately sized impact sockets will do the job just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment